- Only travelers who visiting Japan under the entry status of “Temporary visitor”, and has a passport bearing this stamp can use this pass. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
- Japanese passport holders can NOT use this pass. However in a rare case when travelers have dual passports (Japanese & Other), unless your valid non Japanese passport is stamped with “Temporary Visitor”, issuance of JR pass will be refused.
– To exchange date of the pass, once the pass has been obtained, can no longer be changed.
– JR Exchange Offices (Offices and service hours are subject to change or discontinuation without notice):
- Sapporo Station West Ticket Gate JR Information Desk, daily from 8:30AM to 7PM
- New Chitose Airport Station JR Information Desk, daily from 8:30AM to 7PM
- Twinkle Plaza Hakodate Branch (Hakodate Station), daily from 10AM to 6PM
- Twinkle Plaza Asahikawa Branch (Station Asahikawa) daily from 9AM to 5:30PM
- Twinkle Plaza Obihiro Branch (Station Obihiro) daily from 9AM to 5PM
- Twinkle Plaza Kushiro Branch (Station Kushiro) daily from 10AM to 6PM
- Abashiri Station Travel Center, daily from 9:30AM to 5PM
- The lines included in the pass: the JR Hokkaido metro lines and buses.
- There is an extra charge for the sleeping car and carpet car.
- The JR Hokkaido bus routes available to pass holders are limited
- There is an extra charge for boarding the Twinkle Bus
- The 3-Day, and 5-Day 7-Day pass allows you to choose the starting day, and can be used for either 3 or 5 or 7 consecutive days from the date of issuance.
- The date of use cannot be selected with the Flexible 4-Day Ticket. It is effective the day you either purchase or exchange it, that being day one, and continues to be effective for ten days in which it can be used any four days either consecutive or not.
- With the Hokkaido Rail Pass you can board unreserved seating or reserved seating on all JR Hokkaido local trains, rapid trains and limited express trains.If you wish to ride in Green Car (reserved seating) for the limited express, you will need to purchase a ticket for both the limited express and reserved seating.
- You can also board JR Hokkaido buses within Sapporo. Of the JR Hokkaido Bus Lines, routes between Sapporo – Asahikawa, Monbetsu, Hiro’s , Kiroro, Obihiro, Erimo, Shin Sapporo – Atsubetsu Stadium, JR Shiroishi Sta. – Sapporo Dome and temporary buses are not included. Express buses between Sapporo and Otaru can be boarded if the bus is a JR Hokkaido bus. (Chuo Buses are NOT included)
- If you ride trains that overlap with east Japan rail lines, the boarding portion of the ticket will include the last station of the JR Hokkaido Line which is Naka Oguni Station, and the fare will cover the first (or last) stop on the JR Hokkaido Line.
- You cannot make seat reservation until you have exchange the Pass.
- Non-reserved Ordinary class cars can be accessed freely.
- To access the platforms, show your Pass to the JR Hokkaido staff located at the gate to the platform.
- To reserve a seat, ask the JR Hokkaido staff at the the ticket office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the Pass as station and train staff may check it.
- The starting date written on the Japan Rail Pass cannot be changed.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- 10% of the price will be charged as a refund handling fee.
- Refund is allowed only before the Exchange Order exchange to Rail Pass and it must submit for refund within 12 months from the issuance date.
- Neither an Exchange Order nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.